Thursday, June 30, 2011

Winter in Wangi

New Water Tanks
It's winter here in Wangi which means cold weather and rain.  It appears to rain most nights here during winter.  We have not lived here that long - this is our third winter.  Well the rain is great for the new water tanks we just installed.  We installed 2 x 3440 litre tanks.  They are situated under a back deck and are plumbed into the washing machine, 2 toilets and a garden tap.  Hopefully this will keep our water bills down in the future.  I have purchased some colloidal silver to put in the tanks to sanitize the water. 

So not much is happening in the garden at present.  Actually the garden has gone wild as we have not had the time to see to it.  However things will change over the next few months as we plan for our spring and summer harvest. 

I have been learning about Traditional Fermentation.  I have Sally Fallon's book "Nourishing Traditions" and have been dabbling into fermenting foods but now it's time to get serious.  I am presently doing an E-Course on fermentation and plans are underway to get back to brewing beer and herbal wines. 

Today I will start with something very easy.  A Coopers Mexican Cerveza Beer Kit which has no additives and preservatives.  Just malted barley, hops and yeast and tastes great.  I don't like the bitter beers.  We always make our home brews low alcohol so we use half the recommended sugar.  In future, we plan to go back to making things from scratch.  Not always successful so it's a good idea to have a good reliable alternative on hand.

6 comments:

  1. I have to show my DH your blog because he is so into brewing his own beer and would talk about fermenting until your eyes glaze over. His father made his own fruit wines for years with no additives or preservatives and we have a cellar stock pile of his fruit wine. Although he has retired from all this he has kept every recipe for wines such as white currant wine, gooseberry wine, rhubard champagne,raspberry and heaps more all grown on his property in Tasmania. He has promised me his recipes but I think I have to wait until he departs this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old recipes for fruit and herbal wines are the best. Maybe he will teach you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ros you must be a kindred spirit! I love making wine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope so Mary Its been a while since I have actually made wine I like to use the herbs that are growing in the garden. Do you have a favourite wine you make?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an unhealthy adoration of water tanks, you can never have too many.

    ReplyDelete